Whether you have presented at LSMCE conferences in the past or you are new to the scene, we want to be sure you have everything you need to create and deliver a successful educational session at the 2017 Annual Conference, Take Action: Reaching Deeper into the Nation’s Diverse Pool of STEM Talent, October 6-8, 2017, at the Sheraton Indianapolis Hotel at Keystone Crossing, in Indianapolis, Indiana. Funded by National Science Foundation award HRD 1202563.
- Presenters receive a $250 travel award to offset the costs of travel to the conference. Only the submitting presenter of a multi-presenter session will receive a travel award.
- All travel award recipients will be required to submit an online reimbursement form and include copies of travel-related receipts. The link to the online form and instructions will be sent out in a later, direct-email communication.
- Presenters receive complimentary 2-night lodging at the Sheraton Indianapolis Hotel at Keystone Crossing. Only the submitting presenter of a multi-presenter session will receive a complimentary lodging.
- LSMCE will book a room on your behalf and send you a hotel confirmation number via email by October 1st.
- Students from the same school are encouraged to share two persons to a room, when possible.
- If you have special room requirements, please contact the hotel directly at 1 317-846-2700.
LSMCE Policy on Session Changes
- LSMCE reserves the right to combine similar sessions, to change titles and descriptions or to add presenters as necessary. Submitters will be notified of any changes and given the opportunity to modify their programs accordingly.
- Sessions can be scheduled at any time during the 2017 Annual Conference and presenters must be available Saturday, October 7th, from 8a - 6p EDT, and Sunday, October 8th, from 8a-12p.
LSMCE Policy on Content, Copyright, and Public Posting of Presentation Material
- Presentations must match the descriptions originally submitted; accepted abstracts will be used in marketing materials and will contribute to attendee expectations.
- Presentations must observe copyright and trademark rules.
- Presentations will be posted on the LSMCE conference website and available to the public. **If your presentation contains any sensitive information that cannot be made public, you must contact our offices before you present.**
B2D ORAL, BREAKOUT SESSION, & WORKSHOP PRESENTERS
- Electronic participant materials are required for all accepted educational sessions because they help reinforce what is presented. (B2D Oral presenters are exempt from this requirement)
- Presenters must bring their final presentation material on USB thumb drive to the conference.
- Presenters must upload their final presentation material to LSMCE CONFERENCE BOX, as a secondary backup. Please title your files with your full name and institution.
- LSMCE will make resource materials available online.**If your presentation contains any sensitive information that cannot be made public, you must contact our offices before you present.**
- Examples of participant resource materials include copies of your presentation slides (with room for note-taking), lists of recommended reading and resources or inventories of websites. The best materials are ones that participants can refer to long after the session ends, such as case studies with solutions, samples, and templates.
- Audiovisual equipment will be set up for you on the day of your presentation. A laptop will be provided for you. You may not use your own laptop.
- Presenters must arrive at their session rooms 10 minutes prior to the start of the session to check audiovisual equipment and room set-up.
- LSMCE does not produce printed handouts. Presenters who elect to provide handouts are responsible for their production, costs, and distribution.
STUDENT POSTER PRESENTERS (LSMCE Poster Guidelines 2017)
When preparing your poster, follow these guidelines:
- View the How to Prepare STEM Posters recorded webinar!
- SIZE: Entire poster should be no larger than 4 feet wide by 4 feet high.
- DISPLAY: You must have your poster printed to size prior to arrival at the conference. All posters will be affixed to and displayed on a vertical surface. Thumbtacks will be supplied to secure your poster to the surface.
- TITLE (30-word limit): The title should clearly identify the contents of the poster.
- AUTHORS and AFFILIATIONS: List each author separately. Presenting author should be listed in all caps. Do NOT include titles or degrees. Faculty mentors should appear last with an ‘and’ prior to their name. Do not include street addresses.
- CONTENT: Posters must cover the same material as the abstracts.
- Authors have complete freedom to display poster information in figures, tables, text, photographs, etc.
- Briefly, describe procedures and materials. Define all trade names first, and then use generic names throughout. All compounds and drugs must be identified.
- Prepare all illustrations neatly and legibly beforehand, in a size sufficient to be read at a distance of eight feet.
- Electronic presentations are not permitted.
- Presenters must be on site by 9:00a EDT on Saturday, October 7, and have checked in at the registration table.
- There will be two 1-hour poster sessions - both held on Saturday morning. The first sessions will be held from 9:30a-10:30a EDT and the second from 10:30a-11:30a EDT. Each presenter will be assigned one of the two sessions.
- Posters will be hung at the time of registration check-in and displayed until the completion of the entire posters session, 12PM EST.
- LSMCE will supply poster board easels and thumbtacks or push pins. Do not use staples or tape. No other audiovisual equipment is provided for poster presentations.
- LSMCE is not responsible for posters or materials left on boards after the stated hours.
- Either the author or co-author must stay with the poster display for the entire assigned poster session.
- Students will be judged on the quality of their research knowledge and ability to confidently convey this information during the poster session interviews.
- Poster presenters will be judged using the following POSTER RUBRIC.